Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » USS Oriskany Forums » Current Events

Post subject: Hiroshima, anyone???
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:56 pm 

http://www.wtj.com/archives/hiroshima.htm

May we never forget, the dawning of a new age.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:36 pm 

Robert Interesting Reading. As a foot note to this, as many of you know I live in Omaha Nebraska. The Glenn L. Martin Plant, which produced 534 B-29 during World War II, as a final assembly plant, is located in Omaha, still exists, and is part of Offut Air Force base. The huge building houses many different shops and offices, and is in excellent condition.

For those who do not know, Omaha built all 18 of the planes used for the 509 Composite squadron. Colonel Tibbits and his men, came to Omaha to personally pick out the planes themselves. Tibbits noted the high quaility of the production in Omaha, and wanted the best planes for him and his men. He got them, no questions asked.

To add to this, my mother, who is now 89 years old, and in great health, worked at the plant in the electicial section. She worked on all of these specially modified planes. At the time, they received special orders to modify these 18 aircraft and to take all extra, unnecessary electrial parts from the engines, and fusalage of the planes. No one knew why, but they did their job. They thought it very odd to go back in and redo just completed work.

The planes left the plant after these modifications were made, and looked like any other B-29. They undwent further modifications at secret, less public locations for the removal of gun turrets, to reduce weight and to add special bomb carriages.

It was only after the dropping of the bomb on Hiroshima, that she and her fellow co-workers, were told by their managers, that they had worked on the plane that had dropped the first Atom Bomb.

General Tibbits was in Omaha in 1991, for a speech, and book signing afterwards, that was held at the Stratigic Air Command Museum located then just to the North of the base, and to the East of the Old Glenn L. Martin Plant. I had the unique privilege of meeting the General, and getting an autograph not only for myself, but for my mother. I told him that she had worked on his plane the 'Enola Gay', along with his other aircraft. He was kind enough to ask what her first name was, and wrote her a nice note thanking her for her work on his aicraft.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:43 pm 
Site Admin

Very interesting reading, and very important to remember this day - thank you Robert!

MBT Divers
www.mbtdivers.com
(850) 455-7702

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:20 pm 

Ron, Thank you for that story! That is really neat!

My grandmother on my fathers side,worked for Lockheed out here in Burbank during the war, on the P-38 final assembly line, installing landing lights.

My grandparents on my mothers side worked in the shipyards in Oakland.

Its always great to hear about how everyday people pulled together for "the effort". Sadly, its kind of a different story nowadays.

Jim, your welcome! :wink:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:17 am 

Robert, That is very true! It was and still is a unique generation. So different from today. They all worked together. It is sad to see them
start to disappear.

On your Hiroshima story, I wonder if any of those individuals are still around. It was a great, interesting story to read. Thanks for submitting
it.
Ron T.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Hiroshima, anyone???
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:29 am 

Robert,
This is an interesting post! I am not a supporter of using nuclear weapons, but I do believe this time it's use saved many,many lives. In fact it is still saving lives today. After all these years it's effect has touched our family. You see, my wife has lung cancer and one of the doctors that is treating her had family in Hiroshima at the time the bomb was dropped. She was just a baby and was lliving near Osaka.

Here is a link to an interview she gave in 2005.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/02/science/02conv.html

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Hiroshima, anyone???
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:39 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for sharing that Dale and my heart felt best wishes for your wife. I hope she has a full and speedy recovery.

Gene

Profile E-mail  

Board index » USS Oriskany Forums » Current Events